of the Campus Faculty Meeting
John Rupe, Chair
Call to Oder – John Rupe, Campus Faculty Chair
John Rupe called the meeting to order at 3:35
Approval of the Agenda
Without objection, the agenda was approved.
Minutes of the Meeting
Minutes were approved
Chancellor Gearhart, Provost Gaber, Kathy Van Laningham and Jim Rankin presented on Becoming a Top 50 University.
Provost Gaber's Powerpoint
We are striving to become a Top 50 school; not chasing rankings but working to do the right thing, make our institution that much better.
We have made progress; we are at number 63 and people are hearing about us.
Being a Top 50 school IS good for our state; increasing our in-state graduates will benefit the state and also play a part in our graduation rate. Currently we are at 60% and need to raise this to 66%. We must build on our strengths and seek additional funding, both private and public, to reinforce the good things happening on this campus and support the up and coming programs as well.
Van Laningham: Institutional Research website provides information on student retention and graduation: http://oir.uark.edu/students/retention.html
Rankin: We need 40 million in federal research expenditures to help move us up. We are currently at $32.7 million.
Top five needs we must meet:
1) Increase graduation rate and retention
2) Increase research funding and scholarship
3) Increase top-ranked graduate programs
4) Increase reputation
5) Increase the number of classes under 20 students; have done this in English and Communication.
Other needs as well:
- Bringing in more faculty can help
- Need to empower our non-honors students as well
- Money matters and Pell Grant kids tend to struggle more; how can we help them
- Need to work on right-sizing the university
- Need more books in the library; a 1% fee will be added next year and that will help to pay for books for our library
- Exploring how to increase interdisciplinary faculty and students, to increase research space. A wish list is in place
- Get the word out about our many positive, good things that are happening on our campus.
The meeting adjourned at 4:37 pm