of the Campus Faculty Meeting
David Gay, Chair
I. Call to Order - David Gay, Campus Faculty Chair
David Gay called the meeting to order at 3:35.
II. Approval of the Agenda
Without objection, the agenda was approved.
III. Minutes of the Fall 2010Meeting
Without objection, the minutes of the Fall 2010 meeting were approved.
The Provost commented on the following:
- We have received a very high Carnegie research score! We are very proud of this reclassification.
- This is our second year for offering new faculty lines - 15 this year.
- The Provost is establishing a summer school incentive program to help get money back into departments during summer sessions.
- The Provost has also established a maintenance incentive designed to further promote diverse hirings. The plan is to enhance departmental maintenance budgets where a diverse hire is made. This can entail increasing a maintenance budget up to 30%.
- The online tenure and promotion process continues. Final packets are now due online in August.
- A December graduation is in the works with students in all colleges and at all levels having the opportunity to participation in a graduation ceremony at that time rather than having to wait until May, unless they prefer to do so.
- Dean Searches:
- Fulbright will announce it's decision soon.
- Law School - candidates coming on campus soon
- Graduate School and International Education - Search deadline is coming up.
- Planning for growth:
- A centralized classroom scheduling process is in the works
- One time fund requests to provide for extra sessions continues to support needed classes
- Facilities continues to work on classroom and lab renovations
- Concerns?? No raises next year.
The Chair of Faculty Senate commented on the following:
- Two faculty forums took place in the fall; very good attendance and good feedback during both forums.
- The Chair continues to talk to the faculty and not just for the faculty.
- Academic Integrity - worked on this quite a bit this year; a huge undertaking and it continues to be refined.
- We continue to discuss growth enrollment.
- Post tenure review is needed and needs more teeth!
- The Chair is beginning the process of reconsidering the tenure of the Chair of the Faculty Senate. We may consider electing Chairs for two years rather than just for one.
- We need to review Clinical vs. Tenure track positions.
- A recent letter to the editor was found to be less than flattering for the University. The Chair has responded to this letter.
The Chair of the Campus Faculty commented on the following:
- The Chair of the Faculty is looking forward to continuing the semester and making a difference with the time remaining in the semester on students' development.
V. Old Business
VI. New Business
The meeting adjourned at 4:26 pm