of the Campus Faculty Meeting
Tim Kral, Chair
Call to Oder – Tim Kral, Campus Faculty Chair
Tim Kral called the meeting to order at 3:35
Approval of the Agenda
Without objection, the agenda was approved.
Minutes of the Spring 2011 Meeting
Motion to approve the amended minutes was seconded and approved.
Chancellor Gearhart and Provost Gaber presented details relating to campus activities.
- No state increase in funding and possible state cuts. More college grads needed in State of Arkansas (one of the lowest % in the nation).
- Positive factors for growth – Lottery scholarships, UofA now 1st choice of many, enrollment and recruiting staff excellent, enrollment increases have continued without compromising quality of students (based on ACT, etc.).
- Understanding the needs of UofA faculty: 1) The need for adding faculty continues – some have been added but not enough to keep pace with enrollment. Will continue to work on this. 2) Salary increases for faculty and staff remains a priority since they are low compared to many universities. How can this be accomplished? Increasing tuition and fees (ca. 6% per year), no increase in state appropriations counterbalances this.
- Facilities: Hillside Auditorium will be open in Fall 2012. The need for more new classrooms and lab facilities remains a priority.
- Stop gap measures for facility needs – Labs on evenings and weekends.
- We continue to accept higher quality students thus holding enrollment to a manageable level.
- Looking at out-of-state students and maintaining diversity among the population.
Q&A for the chancellor and provost was available.
The spring faculty meeting will be with President Don Bobbitt
The meeting adjourned at 4:30 pm