of the Campus Faculty Meeting
March 27, 2007, 3:30 p.m.
Jeannie Whayne, Chair
I. Call to Order:
Jeannie Whayne, Campus Faculty Chair, called meeting to order at 3:30 pm
II. Approval of the Agenda
Without objection, the agenda was approved.
III. Minutes of the Fall 2006 Meeting
Without objection, the minutes of the Fall, 2006 meeting were approved.
- Greetings-Chancellor John White
- University President B. Alan Sugg
- Renaissance of University began with the renovation of Old Main under former Chancellor Daniel Ferritor
- College Savings Bond Program
- $250 million Program, $150 million. of which was used to refinance original $300 million program
- Original program used for addition to Mullins Library, John Tyson Poultry Science Center, renovation of the Chemistry/Biochemistry Research Building, Rosen Alternative Pest Control Center, etc.
- The $250 mill bond issue failed in 2005, but passed in 2006
- U of A will receive $16 for a new classroom building, new auditorium and other capital improvements
- Legislative Session 2007
- Universities pressed for use of the Higher Education Formula
- Have worked closely with Dr. Linda Beene, Director of Arkansas Department of Higher Education
- Stanley Williams, Chief Financial Officer has done a very good job for the University
- The formula will may be amended to include benchmarks for student retention and graduation rates
- We won’t get all that we should, but we have done well with the legislature
- Governor Beebe is a very good supporter of higher education
- Other bills-Accelerate Arkansas-economic improvement bill that may have some research funding
- Dr. Sugg thinks that Arkansas shale may be a big boon to the State and the University
- Richard Hudson, Vice Chancellor for Government and Community Relations has done a great job representing the University to the Legislature
- Higher Education had a good legislative session, but already worrying about the next legislative session
- Fate of the lottery-no political traction
- Tenure-Division of Agriculture gets 13% of it’s budget from the Federal Government-concerns about what happens if that funding is cut, Division was separated from the University (Fayetteville campus) some time ago, has a different mission.
- Concerns about student performance-John White
- We have a lower student to faculty ratio than average
- Faculty salaries are lower than average
- Consultants have assessed us as poor in retention and 6 yr graduation rate
- We have improved, but are still third from last-better than last as we were
- Mississippi does better than we do
- Doesn’t know why
- Our best students are as good as the best students anywhere, we are not supporting well enough our poorer students
- Will try to improve needs-based scholarships
- If retention and graduation rates are added to formula, we will have our work cut out for us.
V. Old Business
VI. New Business
The meeting adjourned at 4:25 pm