of the Campus Faculty Meeting
Inza Fort , Chair
I. Call to Order - Inza Fort, Campus Faculty Chair
Inza Fort called the meeting to order at 3:33.
II. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved.
III. Approval of Minutes
March 27, 2007
The minutes were approved.
Chancellor John White.
Chancellor White's Powerpoint presentations are linked below.
Report Part I.
Report Part II.
Highlights of Chancellor White's report on the five goals of the University of Arkansas.
1) Increase Diversity - This still remains the number one concern. Minority recruitment is not as far along as desired. We are beginning to be more diverse in terms of race for faculty but not for students.
2) Excellent teaching, reaching and outreach - We have had much good success in this area.
3) Increase quality and size of student body - Once again, tremendous success in this area. However, we need to find ways to create more financial opportunities for our students; need to secure "needs-based" scholarship support. Also need to make improvements in our graduation rate performance. It is more difficult to be accepted to the U of A. The current student to faculty ratio is 17:1 and in comparison to benchmark universities, our class sizes are competitive - 37% have less than 20 students enrolled in them, 15% have more than 50 students enrolled in them. We are losing ground in class sizes and student to faculty ratios. Would like to add faculty to reach a 16:1 ratio.
4) Increase private support - Where we have had our greatest success.
5) Increase state and federal funding - This is still a challenge though we have had significant improvements in federal support. We will continue to compete for funds. We are under-funded by $39.7 million dollars, money which would be well invested in our University. We would have to more than double our endowment income to cover this.
V. Old Business
VI. New Business
The meeting was adjourned at 4:45.